Skip to main content

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING
     Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To "Go Zip-lining" has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!
       Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recreational activity with more and more popping up across the US.  The place we went to is called Navitat Canopy Tours, it is about 25 miles north of Asheville, NC and voted #1 in the U.S.
     The whole adventure took about 4 hours and was complete with 10 zip lines, hiking, repelling, and climbing.  The longest zip line was about 1000 feet from one mountain, across a valley, to the other mountain nearby with speeds reaching up to 40 mph! It was really neat to experience the mountains so high up...it's a completely different view.  The tour guides were fun and interactive; however, I would recommend going with people that you know, the rest of our group was a family from Kentucky and they were not the funnest of people. I learned a lot about zip-lining as well as nature.
Absolutely *The*Perfect*Fall Day!   
View of the Blue Ridge Mountains from up in the trees
Kenny & I at the beginning of our zip-line canopy adventure!
One of the highest zip lines, 200ft above the ground!
We did it!
If you go to Asheville, you of course have to check out America's largest home, The Biltmore Estate.  This mansion was created by George Washington Vanderbilt II and completed in 1896.... I get excited about even the smallest of things, which makes this house pretty magical in my opinion.  I would highly recommend purchasing the audio tour for a little extra so you can guide yourself through the house and know exactly what you are looking at.  We had lunch at the old stables they turned into a restaurant, and did a wine tour/tasting at Antler Village, which is also located on the 8,000 acre estate.  My favorite part of the entire weekend was watching the sunset over the Blue Ridge Mountains...I love sunsets.  Especially sunsets over the ocean & the mountains....which is one of the many reasons why I love North Carolina. Overall, it was a much needed vacation away for the both of us, and we had a blast!!


Comments

  1. That girl is a lot prettier than that guy. Maybe I'm biased.

    That girl's Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer... Sweat Tea Front Porches The Weather Authentic Faith Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food Slower Pace of Life Country Music & Country Accents Manners and Opened Doors Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits Ranch on Everything Monograms and Pearls College Football I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com