Skip to main content

The Surprise of a Lifetime

Ainsley's Birth 8.25.2018

I absolutely HATE surprises.  They aren't my thing.  I am a planner and I find comfort and excitement in knowing what lies ahead.  This causes some contention in my marriage because my husband LOVES surprises.  I read the last chapter of a book before the first, I enjoy knowing what my birthday gifts are weeks in advance and I always have to look at the menu and know what I am ordering before I walk into a restaurant.  He has often tried to plan "surprises" and it always ends in an argument.  I need to plan when I'm going to straighten my hair, I need to pick out an outfit, I need to eat salads for two days so I can pig out at dinner.  I need to plan these things and the older I get the less spontaneous I am.

My surprise-loving husband had brought up waiting until delivery to find out the gender of our second child.  I honestly did not care either way whether we had another son or a daughter, so I pondered the thought.  He did not take me seriously, my family & friends didn't take me seriously, and honestly I did not take myself seriously when I said that I could wait 9 months to find out.  I still can't believe that I waited that long and I am actually proud of myself!!

I had a wonderful pregnancy, although a little tougher than my first, it was still relatively easy and enjoyable.  I had the exact same symptoms as I did with my first just stronger and more intense this time around.  The only difference this time was that I had really bad breakouts on my face as opposed to glowing skin and the baby's movement was also more aggressive this time around and actually painful at times.  I just figured this baby was bigger and we were both 99.9% sure it was a boy since I had similar pregnancies!
The Friday before my due date (Monday, August 27, 2018) I decided to take the day off.  I enjoyed spending time with my son in the morning followed by some alone time with a manicure, an expensive coffee and lunch at The Fearrington Village.
Pullen Park and spending some quality time with my first born
Alone time <3
That afternoon I had an appointment in which I was 4 cm dilated already! The NP recommended she strip my membranes and notified me that I would most likely go into labor within 48 hours.  We made arrangements for my son and enjoyed a date night at our favorite burger joint, Bad Daddy's.  There was definitely no counting calories in preparation for possible labor; I crushed my entire burger, tater tots, 3 ramekins of ranch, and a PB & J milkshake!
 Date night, the eve of Ainsley's arrival (and yes I went to dinner in those shorts)
Fueling up for labor!
Around 4 am I started having contractions and at 6 am I woke up my husband to notify him.  We decided to drive to Chik-fil-a for breakfast, which is right by the hospital as I was afraid of not making it to the hospital in time!  I labored for about an hour in the parking lot while enjoying my chicken biscuit in between contractions.  Around 8:30 am my contractions were intensifying and we decided to head to the hospital in which I was admitted at 5 cm.
 So excited to be admitted!
Ainsley or Henry?
Around 10:30 am and 7 cm I received the epidural and at 1:00 pm my mom arrived from DC and my water broke on it's own.  I started pushing around 2:15 pm and at 2:38 pm our beautiful baby girl entered the world!!!  She weighed 7 pounds 3 ounces and measured 20.5 inches long.  They placed her on my chest and from the angle I was at, the umbilical cord was between her legs so I actually thought she was a boy at first.  Talk about a whirlwind of emotions and confusion when I realized she was a GIRL!  We named her Ainsley Catherine Walters and we are both still in shock that SHE was a SHE this whole time!! The surprise of a lifetime for sure!
The look of exhaustion + confusion
 So glad she is finally here!
Holden meeting his little sister for the first time
HOME from the hospital and excited to start this journey as a family of FOUR :)

We are all thrilled that she is finally here and are adjusting very well, especially big brother!  Thank you to our families and friends for helping with Holden, providing a freezer full of dinners, visiting and providing us with some socialization.  We are so appreciative of your support during this time and could not do this without you!

I am proud of myself for holding up my end of the deal and waiting until birth to find out the gender of our child.  The agreement that we had if I waited was that if it was a girl, I would have free reigns on purchasing clothes and new things for the nursery so that has definitely been fun.  I've actually always envisioned myself as a mom of 3 boys, so I am still in shock 3 weeks later.  We are truly blessed and I am learning all about bows and bloomers, starting to look forward to tea parties, pedicures, and teaching my daughter all about how to be a dynamite shortstop ;)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer... Sweat Tea Front Porches The Weather Authentic Faith Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food Slower Pace of Life Country Music & Country Accents Manners and Opened Doors Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits Ranch on Everything Monograms and Pearls College Football I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING      Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To " Go Zip-lining " has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!        Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recr