Skip to main content

Lost in a Sea of Garnet and Black

Visit all SEC football stadiums
     SEC football is unlike any college football found throughout the country.  The toughest conference to play in only makes for the most amazing rivalries & games to watch.  Another ongoing thing that is on my bucket list: I want to visit every SEC stadium (as of 2011).  The SEC stadium I look forward to the most: Tiger Stadium "Deaf Valley" in Baton Rouge and the rivalry I look forward to the most: Alabama vs. Auburn Game!
Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Gainsville, FL| Home of the Florida Gators
     Pictures and/or words cannot even begin to describe this magical place.  "The Swamp" was originally built on a sinkhole and expansion efforts have enclosed the field on all sides, which helps to concentrate fan noise to field level. "Florida Gator fans are both loyal and loud, thus creating a tremendous home field advantage for the Gators.  The size and exuberance of the 90,000 home crowds, when combined with the stadium's close-in design of the seats, makes the Swamp one of the loudest stadiums in America and one of the best game day experience in college football."
     I can't remember exactly how old I was or what game it was, but I have been attending Florida games since I can remember.  My uncle Mike graduated from UF and has season tickets every year so I remember going all the time (especially when we lived in Florida) with him and my dad, grandpa sonny, and my cousins.  You can hear the crowd from miles away (no joke) as you walk up to the stadium screaming ORANGE & BLUE!!! It is such a fun and exhilarating experience!
Florida vs. Georgia Game, October 2007
with Drey Dailey, Dave Dailey, & Megan Carrasco 
 Field Level in THE SWAMP!! November, 2008
with Kenny Walters 
Williams-Brice Stadium, Columbia, SC Home of the South Carolina Gamecocks Okay, so back to my original thought....Lost in a sea of Garnet and Black.  I went to Williams-Brice Stadium this past weekend for the Florida vs. South Carolina game.  I went with 2 of my best friends who graduated from S.Carolina and it was a fun time.  It was a noon game, which never allots for enough time to tailgate.  I love a college atmosphere, crisp 70 degree weather, and a cold beer. 
     The stadium was honestly disappointing....I expected more! They have plans for renovations and expanding the stadium so only time will tell.  As for the South Carolina Fans: Extremely classy fans! Granted they were ahead the whole game, but they acted a lot classier towards me than I do towards opposing fans in the swamp.  
     It is hard to be a visiting fan, you feel like everyone is staring at you and you always want your team to win, but I REALLY wanted Florida to win considering I could only imagine what the nightlife in a college town had in store for me and my orange & blue jersey.  Besides everyone chanting "It's great to be a Florida hater!" and Megan trying to talk junk to me..."Mandy look at Florida's cheerleader pom pom's they are so ugly..." it was such a fun weekend!! I was a good sport about the loss....and to all you South Carolina  fans: You have beaten us 3 times since you've joined the SEC...so I suppose I don't mind if you celebrate... it will be years before you win again :)  
 with Kenny Walters, Megan Jenkins, and Brent Collins
with Megan Jenkins




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer... Sweat Tea Front Porches The Weather Authentic Faith Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food Slower Pace of Life Country Music & Country Accents Manners and Opened Doors Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits Ranch on Everything Monograms and Pearls College Football I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING      Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To " Go Zip-lining " has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!        Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recr