Skip to main content

A Hidden Gem in Virginia

     Ok, so this post is not about something I have been able to cross off my bucket list, it's more of a side note that goes along with my Napa Valley post.  I am sure that Napa is on a lot of people's bucket list; however finding the time/money/etc to fly all the way out to the west coast for this only reason can make it seem like less of a priority for most.  If you have never been to the west coast there's just so much more to see than rolling hills and good wine....completely understandable.  So if you enjoy wine (and obviously you do otherwise there's no way we could get along...) but havn't been able to make it out to wine country, and especially if you live on the east coast-than this post is for you!!
     Charlottesville, Virginia...I was absolutely blown away by this city! I had driven right by it on the highway and never knew what this city had to offer....First of all its a college town, home of UVA Cavilers, and who doesn't love a college atmosphere? Not to mention happy hour in a college atmosphere? Makes me very jealous actually. Not only that but the city is full of history, very laid back and there is also so much to do outside of the college campus.  Downtown scene is so cute with cobblestone & lined with coffee shops, restaurants/bars, boutiques, etc.

     I recently visited Charlottesville for a Bachelorette party....I know, I thought the same thing.  Who goes to Charlottesville for a bachelorette party?? It was actually one of the most fun locations for a Bachelorette party that I've ever been to!! We rented a limo and did wine tastings all day-so much fun!
with Julia Gallagher,  Hannah Stair, Jordan Smith, Future Miss Collins, Laura Wainwright, Allie Greenan, Stephanie Girard, Karen Good, & Lyndsey Crooke

     Nestled between the Blue Ridge & Southwest Mountains (gorgeous views everywhere!), it is becoming the "East Coast Napa Valley"-that's a term deemed by the wine makers not me.  There are over 100 vineyards (I had no idea!) & wineries to tour and attend tastings.  The tastings are very reasonably priced; ranging from 5-15$ each place (way cheaper than Napa tastings!!) and offer a lot of information about the process of wine making.  Obviously I was spoiled by going to Napa just 3 weeks prior to this trip; however it was more than I expected and had I gone to Charlottesville first I am sure I would have been blown away!  So all you East Coast Wine Lovers...mark down Charlottesville, Virginia on your bucket list; I promise you won't be disappointed by taking the time to visit this hidden gem.

Cheers to Megan & Brent 6*9*12!
with Lyndsey Crooke & Megan Jenkins
BUCKET LIST UPDATE:
  • I am crossing off Grape smashing with feet because apparently they don't do that anymore; I have asked literally every vineyard that I have been to! If you hear of some place that still does this-let me know!
  • In talking with a few girls at the bachelorette party, I have decided to add "Nantucket & Martha's Vineyard" to my bucket list.  One of these days a trip Northeast and I can knock those out along with Visit Boston & See a game at Fenway Park.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer... Sweat Tea Front Porches The Weather Authentic Faith Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food Slower Pace of Life Country Music & Country Accents Manners and Opened Doors Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits Ranch on Everything Monograms and Pearls College Football I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING      Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To " Go Zip-lining " has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!        Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recr