Skip to main content

This Magic Moment

Take a Ride on a Horse-Drawn Carriage

"The most exciting, challenging, and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself.  And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous."



One of my favorite quotes ever, from one of my favorite people ever...Carrie Bradshaw. Well, I suppose she is a "character" not a "person" but nonetheless she rocks.  When I originally wrote "Ride a horse-drawn carriage through Central Park" on my bucket list, it was because of her. Ever since I saw that episode of "Sex & the City" where Carrie & Big are riding around Manhattan in a horse drawn carriage, I've always wanted to do just that!  I am normally not big on romantic gestures; I can't stand public displays of affection &  I don't even like flowers. I am not sure why this was on my bucket list, but there's just something about a sleigh ride that is even beyond romantic.  Maybe it's the fact that it leaves you no choice but to cuddle, maybe it's the fact that it's not an everyday occasion, or maybe because it is peaceful & serene. 

In February 2013, I was surprised by my boyfriend with the most amazing trip with a fairy tale ending. I thought we were going to his parents mountain house 3 hours away in the mountains of North Carolina for the weekend, but instead we ended up in Boston for one night & drove to New Hampshire for the rest of the weekend.  We spent our first 24 hours in NH waiting out a blizzard; which allowed us the time to sit back & enjoy each others' company. We hung out at our cozy inn with a fire, plenty of wine, and much needed relaxation.   No schedule to follow, nowhere to be, & a complete loss of time...I need more days like that in my life!  The next day the blizzard had passed & it made for excellent skiing conditions!!  

Our final night we went to "dinner" & my heart seriously stopped when I found out that instead of "dinner" Kenny had planned a ride on a horse-drawn sleigh.  It wasn't a carriage & it wasn't Central Park....it was even better.  I realized that the reason this was even on my bucket list to begin with was because I wanted to feel what Carrie felt in that moment...she felt pure romance.  

All you could see was snow for miles. It was dark outside, but the whole estate was lit up with white Christmas lights...it was spectacular!


  It was -8 degrees outside so we were snuggled up next to each other in a blanket. 
You normally don't think of Andre champagne as romantic, but in this instance it was.
We got out of the sleigh for a photo opportunity on a bridge, and next thing I know my boyfriend of six years & the love of my life is asking me to marry him....

I seriously can't describe how I felt in this moment and I don't think I will ever forget how I felt; it was a feeling I had never felt before.  Tears of happiness & joy streamed down my face, my heart was popping out of my chest & I had nervous butterflies when we kissed.  There was a feeling of relief that I had found the person I want to spend the rest of my life with & I was freezing cold when I realized I was in 3 ft of snow.  Absolute shock, disbelief, anxiety...I couldn't stop shaking.   All of those emotions rolled into a single moment.  The feeling was almost unrealistically romantic.  The kind of romance you see in movies & TV shows like "Sex and the City", the kind of romance you hear about, the kind of romance you dream of and hope for one day.  I had to pinch myself to make sure it was real life .  

So thank you, Carrie Bradshaw, for inspiring me... yet again.  And thank you, Fiance', for being responsible in creating the most magical moment of my life....thus far :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING      Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To " Go Zip-lining " has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!        Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recr

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer... Sweat Tea Front Porches The Weather Authentic Faith Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food Slower Pace of Life Country Music & Country Accents Manners and Opened Doors Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits Ranch on Everything Monograms and Pearls College Football I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com