Skip to main content

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer...
Sweat Tea
Front Porches
The Weather
Authentic Faith
Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food
Slower Pace of Life
Country Music & Country Accents
Manners and Opened Doors
Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits
Ranch on Everything
Monograms and Pearls
College Football
I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to love?  I could not wait to embrace my inner Southern Belle, and what a more perfect time and place than the 141st Kentucky Derby!!
 Looks like I am one of those "phony southern girls" now, and I am also a sucker for this guy in seer sucker ;) <Kenny Walters>
The Kentucky Oaks
Eeeekkkk!!! So excited to be at CHURCHILL DOWNS! <Kristen Kirk, Calvin Kirk, Kenny Walters>
The Kentucky Oaks and The Kentucky Derby are the oldest, continuous sporting events in history and have been held since 1875.  They are the only horse races to be held at their original site.  The Kentucky Oaks is held on the Friday before the Kentucky Derby and this year it broke a record with 125, 000 people in attendance!
 Our friends, Calvin and Kristen Kirk, organized this experience for us.  We are so thankful for their friendship & the memories we made while visiting them in Louisville, KY.
This was the view from our seats!  We were second row from the dirt track with a great view of the horses as they came around the turn, every 45 minutes or so.  The horse races reminded me of fishing, a lot of patiently waiting with little action.  When there was action, the atmosphere was exhilarating!  My heart was more into the races once we started placing bets-I won a grand total of $12.00 :)
 We were so close

I was loving and soaking in every minute of this experience!

 Kristen and I with our "Grey Goose Oaks Lily", the signature drink of this prestigious race.  <Grey Goose, cranberry juice, sweet & sour mix, Triple Sec>

The Kentucky Derby
The next day was the day of the Kentucky Derby.  The Kentucky Derby is known as "The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports" and it was hard to believe all the hype that surrounded this two minute race. It is the first race of the American Triple Crown, followed by the Preakness Stakes in Maryland, then the Belmont Stakes in New York.

We actually did not attend the derby on Saturday, for various reasons.  We spent a lot of money and "went all out" on Friday, our friends couldn't find a babysitter.  Our tickets to The Oaks ran us $200.00 each with those same tickets for The Derby going for $400.00 each!! If we were going to go, it would have just been Kenny and I in the infield (the $50.00 general admission tickets, which doesn't include a view of the track. You watch the race on a large screen TV).  The hassle of getting to and from Churchill Downs, high cost of beverages, long lines for bathrooms, and hanging out among a drunk sea of people just didn't seem worth it.  Especially considering we had such a great experience on Friday.  

Attend the Kentucky Derby in Lousville, KY
Crossing things off your bucket list is twice as fun when you do it with someone who has the same thing on theirs! I know we may be cheating a little bit here, but we are still crossing this one off our bucket list and the reason being that we feel we had "the experience" of the Kentucky Derby. We watched horses race at Churchill Downs,  placed bets, drank mint juleps, wore a big hat and bow tie.  Our experience and seats at The Oaks far outdid being in the crowded infield on the day of the derby. We had our own little Kentucky Derby party and enjoyed hanging out with our friends that we don't get to see very often.  


Kentucky Bourbon Trial

We took our sweet time driving back to North Carolina, including a stop off the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.

The Kentucky Bourbon Trail was not on my bucket list because I don't like bourbon, but if you enjoy bourbon you should definitely add this to your list. We stopped at Woodford Reserve which offered an informative and highly organized tour of the distillery for a steal, $10 a person.  If you are in the area check this place out! { http://www.woodfordreserve.com/ }

We learned so much from this tour and we were able to see each step in the process of bourbon making.  Perhaps the most interesting fact I learned on the tour was why Kentucky is known for bourbon and thoroughbreds.  There is an abundance of limestone in this area, consisting of calcium which contributes to strong, healthy bones and a fine component that turns whiskey into bourbon!

Woodford Reserve
 
<Calvin (and Trey!) Kirk, Kristen Kirk, Kenny Walters>
We ended our long weekend with a quaint lunch spot that was featured on "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives".  The name of the place was Wallace Station, just outside of Lexington, KY and just off The Bourbon Trail.  Like all weekends you look forward to do, it ended and we headed home to Raleigh, North Carolina.
On our 9 hour drive I smiled when I realized we didn't venture too far, as we were always south of the Mason-Dixon.
In case you couldn't already tell, I am never leaving.  There's no place I would rather be....

Comments

  1. So fun! I am so glad I stumbled across your blog!!! But I have a lot of catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING      Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To " Go Zip-lining " has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!        Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recr

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com