Skip to main content

A Sweet Southern Summer

As Labor Day Weekend comes to an end, it's also the unofficial end to summer here in North Carolina. Hunting season and college football are in full swing and people won't shut up about pumpkin spice lattes. I have anxiety about going outside in the cold weather, I adjust my personal schedule to avoid the cold and I tend to ignore responsibilities if it requires going outside. Overall, when the leaves begin to change I become a more sluggish and grumpy version of myself.  With that being said, I tend to hold on to summer as long as possible.  You will always find me outdoors and always with a busy schedule as I try to cram as many things as possible into the longer days.  Summer is a time to enjoy the warm weather and amp up the fun!

Volunteer with Habitat for Humanity in Raleigh, NC

Helping out within the community has always been on my "to do" list.  Between all the weddings and beach trips, it selfishly gets further and further down on my list.  I jumped on the opportunity to volunteer with my friend, Leslie, and her work company to help build homes for the less fortunate through Habitat for Humanity.

Habitat for Humanity focuses on building homes for the less fortunate within the community.  These homes are not "free" to qualified individuals, but they come at a low cost that is usually dependent on the family's financial situation and income.  The family also has to volunteer 200 hours through the organization in helping to build homes within the community.
 We spent all day on Saturday helping to install the doors, closets, and window sills to this home.  We were (obviously) very proud of our work and we learned how to use a lot of bad ass tools! 
  
with Leslie Blanchard
It was a long, hard day but it was also filled with plenty of smiles and laughs.  We were able meet the future owner of the home and worked hand and hand with her.  We couldn't help but end the day with that warm, fuzzy feeling that brought a smile to our face.  It was a great feeling to know that we helped out within our community.  Next thing on our list is to help out at a soup kitchen, food drive, and to eventually help out through Habitat for Humanity in a different country!

Special shout out to Siemens, what a wonderful group of people that worked well with each other! This is a great bonding experience for your company, church group, boy scouts, etc and you can also sign up to help out individually.  Just call your local Habitat for Humanity location if you are interested in volunteering within your community or check out their website (http://www.habitat.org/)

Rock Climbing in Shenandoah National Park, Virginia

On August 2, 2015, my brother and his lovely bride tied the knot!  It was a wonderful wedding weekend in the beautiful mountains of Shenandoah National Park.  We took advantage of being in the area for the weekend and all the activities the resort had to offer.
Tyler and Sara Jerrell on their wedding day 
The all day rock climbing adventure included our tour guide, all the necessary equipment, snacks and lunch.  Here is the link for more information if you are  interested (http://www.goshenandoah.com/activities-events).  We did about a 1/2 mile hike to our destination and learned all about anchoring, the equipment and safety techniques. I felt very safe with our guide as he was noticeably experienced and he was was also on the rescue squad for the Shenandoah Valley area.  I felt safe that if anything happened, we were in good hands.  We only anchored at one location and rock climbed/repelled the same side of the mountain all day.  It may seem boring, however you would be surprised as to how many different routes and challenges you can experience to get to the top!
 Rock climbing was the perfect blend between a challenge and feeling accomplished.  Plenty of times we felt we were "stuck" or too tired to get to the next level and I honestly felt like giving up a few times.  Once I made it to the top, I felt proud and empowered!  
 Rock climbing was a great challenge because I had to have a strategy and always think ahead while mentally encouraging myself.  It physically challenged every muscle in my body and also challenged my cardiovascular stamina-I couldn't believe how hard we were breathing and how sore we both felt the next morning.
We made it and what a beautiful view!  
Horseback Riding in Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
The best thing about the Skyland Resort was everything was located within walking distances of each other.  After a relaxing brunch with my family, we walked to the stables.
It was a beautiful day for horseback riding with my aunt and husband!
With Mathilda Bojescul & Kenny Walters
I was a little nervous at first because I didn't feel like I was in control, it felt like the animal was in control of me.  At about 15-20 minutes into our hour ride, I felt a little more confident and wanted the horse to go a little faster.  It was the perfect trail and pace for a first time rider, very relaxing.
I loved this weekend spent in the Shenandoah National Park with my family

Learn how to Fly Fish in Charlottesville, Virginia
We spent our two year anniversary weekend in Charlottesville, VA.  I booked the fly fishing trip for a surprise as Kenny has always shown interest in learning.  He thought we were going to the spa, and was really excited when he found out we would be learning all the basics of fly fishing.  We booked our 1/2 day trip through Albemarle Angler (http://albemarleangler.com/) and the price included a float trip with our guide and all the necessary equipment.  Our guide was Cole and he was all the things you want and need in a guide; experienced, entertaining, and laid-back.
Kenny learning how to cast on the Rivanna River
I really enjoyed fly fishing! I generally enjoy fishing, but I usually get bored at the 2 hour mark.  You have to pay attention constantly with fly fishing, which is why I think I enjoyed it more.  I had to watch my fly and once I reeled in, I couldn't wait to practice another cast!  I never got bored the entire 4 hour trip and now I am convinced I need a fly fishing rod. Not sure I will ever use a spinner rod again, why would you when you can fly fish? I can't wait until I can practice my skills again!
This little small-mouth bass was the only thing we caught all day, haha!  Kenny summed it up best when he said "Babe, it's called fishing, not catching."  I'd never heard that saying before and I really like it.

I am in love with Charlottesville, I can see myself living here one day (see previous blog post from 2012: http://mandysbucketlist-ajerrell12.blogspot.com/2012_04_01_archive.html).  We enjoyed the rest of the weekend relaxing at our wonderful B&B. We bought a living social deal for Prospect Hill Plantation Inn and (in addition to wineries and outdoor activities) the area is surrounded by historic B&B's to stay at.  (http://www.prospecthill.com/index.htm)
We enjoyed exploring the 40 acres and historic buildings that dated back to 1699
Relaxing on the front porch before dinner
The best part of the weekend was enjoying breakfast in bed and having zero plans


Go Hunting in Fayetteville, North Carolina
I have always wanted to go hunting! I didn't care what, where, who or when, but I have always wanted to go.  I  have googled and emailed people in the past on how to get a license, and it just seemed very complicated and intimidating so that was as far as I got.  I decided this year that I would do all the necessary steps to get my hunting license and figure out where I would go and what I would hunt once I got to that point.  I was telling my friend, Holly, about my hunting desire when I started the process.  She said "You can hunt on my dad's farm! He loves to have people out there and we always do a big hunting event Labor Day Weekend."  OH MY GOSH, THIS WAS MY CHANCE!! My steps to becoming a licensed hunter in North Carolina are as follows:
  • I completed the online course ($20.00) ; which consisted of 12 sections with a quiz at the end of each section followed by a 50 question test online at the end of completing all sections.  
  • Register for my "fieldwork" test in Burlington, NC, which consisted of loading/unloading a gun, starting a fire, and a written 50 questions test.  I legit studied, note cards and all.
  • Took all the necessary paperwork to Dicks sporting goods and paid $22.00 for dove hunting on private land
  • Bought some camo and packed dad's gun to prepare for opening day!
I was so proud of myself for getting my license! I couldn't contain my excitement or sleep the night before opening day of dove season in NC.
 with Holly Johnson at dawn on opening day
We set up in our little spot, and before I could even load my gun we heard shells being fired and doves were flying above us! It was more action than I anticipated and I didn't expect hunting to be such an adrenaline rush.  The first few times I was so excited when I saw doves, I think I kinda froze because I was shaking so much with excitement. It turns out dove hunting was also a lot more difficult that I anticipated too.  It was nothing like shooting skeet and I had a difficult time judging distances between myself and the bird.  I shot a grand total of one dove all morning but the smell of gunpowder, the unpredictable behavior of doves, the feeling of shooting the shotgun has me wanting to go hunting again!!
The Dove Shooting Dream Team! ;)
with Bryan Pendergraft, Holly Johnson and Kenny Walters

Special thank you to Holly and the whole Johnson family for allowing me this wonderful opportunity! 


I always hate to see the summer end, but I can find some comfort in knowing that I "lived it up".  I suppose I can relax and hibernate until I can enjoy being outdoors again. Cheers to Summer 2015, as this was the summer that put a pretty big dent in my bucket list! 286 more days until the next sweet, southern summer...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer... Sweat Tea Front Porches The Weather Authentic Faith Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food Slower Pace of Life Country Music & Country Accents Manners and Opened Doors Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits Ranch on Everything Monograms and Pearls College Football I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING      Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To " Go Zip-lining " has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!        Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recr