Skip to main content

Fun at Fenway

Visit Fenway Park

10 Stadiums down, 20 more to go! I am 1/3 the way done with my goal of visiting all the MLB Stadiums in the country.


I've always wanted to go to Fenway Park! For any baseball fan, it is usually on the top of the list with Wrigley Field.
Five years ago, we got engaged on a trip to Boston.  It was in February so we obviously couldn't see a game but we did check out The Bleacher Bar which is field level and located in center field, outside of the stadium but with a good view of the ballpark.  We had to check it out again, especially since we were with our son this time.  It was packed and we didn't even get a drink, but definitely still worth checking out!

My first impression was that I could not get over how small the stadium was!  We were packed like sardines and I immediately realized why our tickets seemed so cheap, there was a large pole blocking our view of the pitcher.  I had read about these poles but didn't even think about them when purchasing the tickets.  Have to take the good with the bad and part of the reason Fenway is so captivating is because it is the oldest MLB stadium and those poles have been there since 1912!  Once I could appreciate the originality of the stadium, our view wasn't so bad.  The hot dogs were delicious (aren't they always at a ballpark?), the crowd was rowdy, and the game was very offensively exciting with 20 hits!
25 weeks with Baby #2
I was a little worried bringing our two-year-old son to the game.  This was our last night of vacation and he had gone 5 days without a nap, going to bed very late, and this was a 7pm game with a 6am flight the next morning! I was thinking he was going to be a nightmare and we would take turns walking around with him, but the kid was absolutely amazing!  The engaging crowd and exciting game actually held his interest for 9 innings!!! We couldn't believe it. He had so much fun and still talks about the game.  (Side note: It was also well worth the money to stay in a hotel that was close to the stadium with a little one.  We didn't have to worry about dealing with a car seat or lugging a stroller into the ballpark).
I don't know if it was sheer luck or what, but just in case you aren't so lucky with your little one at Fenway Park, they have made this park so kid-friendly.  They have an entire "Kid's Concourse" located in right field with various things for kids and during innings 3-7 they have an indoor facility complete with toys, games, art projects, ice cream, etc and they also continue to play the game on a big screen TV for all the parents.  It's a great little place to let your kid run off some energy so the game will (hopefully) be more enjoyable for the parents.

All in all, Fenway Park did not disappoint!  The Red Sox lost to the Athletics, 5-6, but we had a great time.  I told my husband we will have to return when I can enjoy some beers and the nightlife atmosphere outside of the park and he agreed!
The game at Fenway was the last thing on our mini vacation itinerary to New England.  We visited my sister and brother-in-law who live in Providence, Rhode Island and spent the last two days in Boston.  Here are a few of my favorite moments from our trip!

 Lunch with Aunt Lyss
 A great Mother's Day in Newport, RI
 The Cliff Walk in Newport, RI
 My sister and husband surprised me with a private dinner for Mother's Day at Gracie's fine dining in Providence
 Love you so much! with Alyssa Jerrell
 Rainy day walking the Freedom Trail
Boston Commons

We enjoyed our vacation as a family of three and now we are ready to settle down and prep for Baby Walters #2 in August 2018!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer... Sweat Tea Front Porches The Weather Authentic Faith Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food Slower Pace of Life Country Music & Country Accents Manners and Opened Doors Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits Ranch on Everything Monograms and Pearls College Football I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING      Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To " Go Zip-lining " has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!        Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recr