Skip to main content

Been There. Done That.

I'm sure that every year that I get older, my priorities will change and thus my bucket list will change too.  I am 25 years old, and life is starting to move a little too fast for my liking.  I'm in no hurry to grow up just yet and my main priority right now is just having fun.  All the things that I've crossed off my bucket list so far have just been adventurous things I've always wanted to do or places that I've always wanted to go.
So here are a few things I've been able to cross off my bucket list so far....
SKYDIVING
 ...my ultimate #1 adventurous thing to do in life. My dad took me for my 20th birthday in Zephyrhills, FL  It doesn't get any better than jumping out of a plane 12,500 ft. above the ground and free falling at 115mph for an entire minute! Talk about an adrenaline rush!! Some other adventurous things that remain on my list include: Go Whitewater Rafting, Go Zip Lining, Go Bungee Jumping, Go Horseback Riding!




GRADUATE FROM COLLEGE
The best 4 years of my life (so far) and I hated to see it come to an end but I was also ready for the next chapter in my life.  I'm proud of myself for obtaining my Bachelor of Science Degree in Recreational Therapy from East Carolina University.  THANK YOU to my parents, the most influential people in my life, who have always supported me no matter what road I decide to take in life.  And also my sister & brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, Grandma, Nana & Grandpa, and Kenny for making the trip to see me graduate, and those who have always supported me and who were unable to make it.  The next thing on my list is to Obtain my Doctorate in Physical Therapy, one day. 


with my brothers & sister: Nathan, Alyssa, & Tyler


What is it about ECU?
What is it about ECU that always makes me smile?
All the world was there within a square mile.
Just to sit on the brick house porch would make it worth while.
Can we go back and do it all again?

Sitting in the swing, with a glass of wine in our hand,
Time was slipping through our fingertips like sand.
No worries at all, except what bar had what band.
Can we go back and do it all again?

Down Fifth street we walked hundreds of times,
PB’s Penny draft beer meant 10 for a dime,
We’d stumble our way home, and that would be fine.
Can we go back and do it all again?

Remember the days when the sun was warm and bright,
A beer in the yard was all we needed to recover from the night,
Unbrushed hair and barefooted, we were all right.
Can we go back and do it all again?

Don’t Stop Believing, Blinded by the light, and summer of ’69,
We sang and danced at the bar, we sure did shine!
When leaving at 2 was not enough time.
Can we go back and do it all again?

What is it about ECU that always makes my eyes swell with tears?
Knowing the best days of my life, were those four years.
Can we go back and do it all again? -Hannah Patrick

With some of my best pals form college
Katherine Carlough, Allison Millsaps, Emily Dnistran, Lyndsey Crooke
GO TO EUROPE
My family and I visited family friends, The Ringdahls who were living in Germany during December 2005.  We visited Germany, France, and Switzerland.  Some things that I got to cross of my list during this trip included:
  • Go to Paris: The Eiffel Tower, for being one of the most recognizable global icons, in my opinion was over-rated.  The Louvre: is great if you are into art and history, or if you have a personal tour guide to explain what you are looking at.  I just don't have the passion for understanding art and I have no idea why the Mona Lisa is one of the greatest paintings of all time (in my opinion, the painting over my bed is even better!!).  The Notre Dame in Paris is very cool as well as the nighttime atmosphere and the Seine river.  When I think of Paris I think of romance and immediately think Carrie and Big from Sex & The City kissing by the river.  I would like to Return to Paris one day, this time with my husband.
  • Go skiing down a Black Diamond: in The Alps with my dad, Mr. Ringdahl and Matt. (I had no idea what I was getting into & it was actually really dumb because I definitely did not have the skills to be there.  I more so rolled and tumbled my way down the mountain).
  • Learn how to snowboard, Shannon taught me and it's a lot more difficult than it looks! I prefer skiing anyday.
  • Drink Beer and eat Bratwurst in Germany and Visit a real Castle (the one Cinderellas Castle in Walt Disney World was built after).  I also want to Attend Ocktoberfest in Bavaria, Germany.
  • What an awesome trip!! I'll have to make the time to go back to Europe one of these days, I barely got my feet wet and there is so much to do! I want to ride a gondola in Venice, drink wine in Italy,  and visit Greece,  Rome, London and Amsterdam.
  • Places I would like to visit in the US: Visit Alaska (the only state I have not been to), Boston, Chicago, and Seattle.
Heidelberg, Germany with Shannon Baker
Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany, December 2005
GO DEEP SEA FISHING
The first time I ever went Deep Sea Fishing was when I was younger, and I spent the whole time laying on the bottom of the boat puking.  I decided to try again (this time with 3 Dramamine!) off the coast of Hatteras, NC over 4th of July weekend.  I went on my friend Bobby's boat, The Islander, and we caught a 600 pound blue marlin!!! And by "we" I mean I helped take pictures :)


The Islander
Summer 2009
GO TO L.A.
Summer of 2007 , my best friend Brittany & I went to visit friends in Los Angeles!  Brittany had mentioned she wanted to go across country and I of course said that I would love to go (this meaning after I turned 21 that summer & after I saved up enough money to go by waiting tables.)  The next phone conversation, she calls me and says "My dad has booked the tickets...we are going to L.A.!!"  (Mr. Hardy would only let her go if I went haha).  At the time ( I was in college & simple minded)...when I thought about L.A. I thought about Hollywood: The Hills, meeting famous people, and one heck of a crazy night life :) 

L.A. is absolutely fascinating and its all very different than I even expected.  We visited the tar pits from "My Girl", the Hollywood walk of fame, the Hollywood sign, Santa Monica Pier & ate In N Out Burgers (just as amazing as I remembered).  We went to some chill local bars & we went to a club where you had to be on the guest list & your looks had to be "approved" to get in! We thought we were dressed to impress but felt completely left out by the time we got into the club and realized we were the only ones actually wearing clothes and heels < 6 inches!  Girls even wore heels & full face of makeup to the pool!!! I could never be that high maintenance and L.A. is definitely a city worth visiting but I don't think I could live there.   I am so glad that I got to experience this trip with Brittany and we did run into some famous people...including Audrina Patridge, Andy Milanakis, and we went to the Roosevelt Pool the same day Lindsey Lohan passed out at the pool.  My only advice if you go is to make sure you are 21 (duh) but most importantly, make sure you have a valid/non-fake I.D. to drink & to board the plane ;) 

Although born in Cali...it's pretty clear that I'm an East Coast girl ;)

Roosevelt Pool on Memorial Day

ATTEND A NASCAR RACE
I don't care for Nascar; I don't follow it at all but I have always wanted to attend a race.  I went to the Bank of America 500 in Charlotte, NC and I couldn't even tell you who won but wow what a fun experience!  I think my favorite part was people watching...I've never seen so many people with mullets in my life! In the future I would like to: Attend a World Cup game in another country, Attend an NFL Game.
Bank of America 500, Fall 2008
with Lauren Johnson, Carter Garris, & Kenny Walters
GO CANOEING
We have gone on a family trip pretty much every year since I can remember but there are 2 awesome family trips that come to mind.  The first trip we went camping for a month out west; Grand Canyon, Tetons, Yellowstone, Mt. Zion, The Badlands, MesaVerde, Crater Lake, etc.  A recent trip we went canoeing in the Boundary Waters, on the border of Ontario, Canada and Minnesota.  The first day we canoed and hiked 11 miles...my arms and shoulders have never been so sore in my life! We would paddle a couple miles and then have to carry our canoes and camping gear over land (portages) to get to the next river.  We were out in the middle of nowhere the only time we even saw other people was the very beginning of our trip.  It was a little scary (bears really freak me out!) but also it was so surreal to be at peace with nature...
Jerrell Family just starting on our trip!
My brother, Nathan, and I
GET MY SCUBA DIVING LICENSE
I got this when I was 16 because at one point and time I wanted to be a Marine Biologist.  I love the ocean and everything it has to offer...it really fascinates me! The only place I have been able to dive is Key West and off the coast of NC.  It is always hard to find a buddy to go with so if you are interested, let me know! Scuba diving locations on my bucket list right now are  The Great Barrier Reef and The Galapagos Islands. I would also like to Swim with Sharks,  Feed Sharks (my favorite animal), Witness a "flying" great white off the coast of South Africa,  Swim with dolphins.
School of Scalloped Hammerhead Sharks off the coast of the Galapagos Islands
This to me is absolutely amazing and fascinating!!! One day, one day...
LEARN HOW TO GAMBLE
Beluxie, MS with my brother Tyler and my dad...it was a lot harder than I expected. I thought you could watch someone and easily pick up the games but you really have to know what you are doing! The cool thing about my first gambling experience was it was a slow night and my dad (and even the people working the tables) was able to explain to me how to play.  My favorite was Craps but it was also the most difficult to understand.  I lost 300 dollars but luckily it was my parents money and not mine haha! :) Next stop...GAMBLE IN VEGAS BABY!! Some other things I would like to learn how to do include: Learn How to Surf Learn How to Cook, Learn Sign Language
Me and my brother, Tyler,  in Mississippi
December 2009
GO SKEET SHOOTING
The first chance I was able to go was this past summer in Maryland. My friend's family owns a lot of land on the Chesapeake Bay and we were able to shoot skeet over a corn field.  Ouuuccchh I had no idea that gun would kick as much as it did! It was a lot of fun minus the huge bruise on my arm.  Next step: Go Duck Hunting and Shoot a handgun.
Skeet Shooting in Maryland with Emily Dnistran & Lyndsey Crooke
Summer 2011
ATTEND A GAME AT ALL MLB STADIUMS
This is something on my bucket list that will be an ongoing task.  I absolutely LOVE baseball.   I have grown up playing baseball & softball ever since I can remember and it's the only sport I completely understand from the fundamentals, every call that is made, to the detailed rules & regulations.  I enjoy attending minor league games during the summer, watching my boyfriend play in a local adult league, and I even enjoy high school baseball when I don't even know anybody on the team.  My favorite team to follow is the Atlanta Braves; mostly because my future husband Chipper plays for them but also because I have grown up rooting for them.
The Stadiums I can cross off my list....
  • Turner Field, Atlanta Braves

Tickets behind home plate...My Surprise Bday Trip to Atlanta - July 2007
Best seats I've ever had at Turner Field
Atlanta trip Summer 2011 
with Nicole & Philip Nesheim & Kenny Walters
  • National's Park, Washington Nationals
Visiting my mom and sister, Alyssa, in Washington DC

  • Camden Yards, Baltimore Orioles
  • Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles Dodgers
with Brittany Hardy on our LA trip in college

  • Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City Royals
  • Busch Stadium (old & new), St. Louis Cardinals
with Shannon Baker & Allie Harris on my 25th birthday

So obviously I have a lot more to visit, but this is a pretty good start! The 2 stadiums I am looking forward to the most are : Fenway Park & Wrigley Field

Comments

  1. I love it... this is so you! You have already accomplished so much in 25 years - looks like you're well into that bucket list.

    And you ARE a great writer because I can hear your voice through your words. That's what makes a great writer! Keep it up... love you Mandybear!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer... Sweat Tea Front Porches The Weather Authentic Faith Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food Slower Pace of Life Country Music & Country Accents Manners and Opened Doors Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits Ranch on Everything Monograms and Pearls College Football I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING      Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To " Go Zip-lining " has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!        Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recr