Skip to main content

The Defining Decade & The Best Christmas Present EVER

     As 2013 approaches, I have one word to sum up this year: weird.  It is actually the same word I would use to sum up my 20's thus far...It's the first time in your life where everyone begins to take different paths & this change, at first, is weird.  People move, people get married, people have babies, and everyone changes.    Change is a part of life, you must take the good with the bad. It's comforting to know that those who love you help to provide stability & insight with ever-changing life. Your twenties are full of unknowns; and for the most part that's a scary feeling, but it's also very exciting! Share these experiences with family & friends.  This year I learned so much about myself through my relationships with others. Keep close those that are honest, trustworthy, & help to uplift you.  A true friend is never selfish, loves you for your strengths & helps you face your weaknesses by making you a better person.  I have always let my friends lean on me, but this year I have learned that you must also lean on your friends. 


It's comforting to know that those who love you help provide
 stability & insight with ever-changing life.
Keep close those that are honest, trustworthy, & help to uplift you
Share experiences with family
Lean on your friends & allow them to lean on you

     Your 20's are exciting because you have the whole world at your finger tips, you can be selfish for the only time in your life.  Should I go back to school and further my education? Should I quit my job & start completely over?   Should I get married?  Should I be single? Should I have a baby?  Should I buy a house? There are so many different paths you can take at this point in your life, but in the end we all want the same result-Just to be happy.   The choices you make in your 20's will ultimately be the bedrock & foundation for your future & happiness. 
This is what your 20's is all about! 

     With that being said, I have been pretty boring these past few months while trying to establish a foundation for my future. Finishing up some prerequisites for graduate school, saving money, moving, etc all while trying to keep up with the regular flow of life.  The fun & liberal part of me wants to explore, dream, & discover!  I want to travel, take risks, cross things off my bucket list & not think twice.  However, the smart & conservative part of me wants to save money for a house, save money for the future, & situate myself comfortably for a solid career.  Is there a way to have my cake & eat it to?

     My wise parents once said , "Right now you are healthy, full of life, and you have all the time in the world to take off & do whatever you want: the only problem is you don't have the money to do so.  The older you get, you will hopefully have saved up enough money to do most of what you always dreamed of doing.  However, now you have commitments you just can't leave and your health & time are against you." After this interesting perspective  they explained to me & my siblings that instead of tangible gifts they were instead going to give the gift of a "Lifetime Experience".  We each were given a  "Lifetime Experience Account" so we could experience the world while we are young & wouldn't have the funds to normally do so.  It was explained to us that  "Lifetime Experience Bucks" were given for Christmas/birthdays & had to be used on a "Lifetime Experience"; for example, skydiving or traveling to another country.  We could spend it with whomever we wanted, whenever we wanted, or we could save it until we were ready to cash in for something grand.  Amazing parents, I know.  "Lifetime Experience Bucks" has allowed my sister  to travel to (and bungee jump in!) Korea & my brother and his girlfriend to take a 2 month long vacation out west, visiting everything from the Redwoods to Vegas!  From our perspective- no time is lost, no money is lost, & all is gained.  The gift of a "Lifetime Experience" is personal & enduring while also helping to contribute to who we are as a person & our overall happiness.  It beats any apple product or gift card by far!

      We weren't making moves as my parents originally had thought, so my parents came up with a plan & presented it to us this Christmas.  Instead of giving us "Lifetime Experience Bucks" this year, they have decided to send us on a trip, just the 4 of us.  It is important to them that  Tyler, Nathan, Alyssa, and I go on a trip at this time in our lives... before we all get married, before we all have kids, before someone decides to go back to school or  move from the east coast.  Before life gets complicated & we are all in our 20's trying to decide which path to take. Turkey, Israel, & Italy-Here we come May 2013!!!


The Best Christmas Present Ever
 THANK YOU MOM & DAD for the Best Christmas Present Ever!!!!
We are so grateful & excited for this opportunity and,of course, I am ready to cross some things off my stand-still Bucket List! I can't comprehend the magnitude of quality sibling experiences that we will make, cherish, & talk about forever.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer... Sweat Tea Front Porches The Weather Authentic Faith Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food Slower Pace of Life Country Music & Country Accents Manners and Opened Doors Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits Ranch on Everything Monograms and Pearls College Football I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING      Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To " Go Zip-lining " has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!        Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recr