Skip to main content

Expanding my tunnel vision in Jerusalem

Jerusalem is an absolutely amazing and quite powerful place.  It's not typically one of the top things on your list when traveling abroad, and I would have never made Israel a priority when traveling without this opportunity my parents gave me.  It's not for everyone....but the combination of religion & history makes this place so unique, there's not a place like it in the whole world.

It is one of the oldest cities in the world...considered holy to the three major religions.  "During it's long history, Jerusalem has been destroyed twice, besieged 23 times, attacked 52 times, and captured and recaptured 44 times."-(Wikipedia).  Just imagine how much history and passion is embedded within this city.  One thing you must have to get the most out of this fascinating place is...an open mind.  It doesn't matter what you believe in...you just have to respect everything you see in this place and at least try to understand where others come from.  You don't have to, but like I said before getting out of your comfort zone is where life really starts to happen.  To be wholesome and not ignorant.  And trust me, it's a lot easier said than done- even for me!


I am an American.  I am a Christian.  I am a female.  I see the world through a certain lens....the lens established by my past experiences, where I grew up, how I am treated, my personal views and beliefs.  To see the world from a different lens....from the perspective of someone with a different religion and different culture...will open up your eyes, mind, and heart to a feeling you never thought was possible.

 Walking through the streets of Jerusalem


The Christian Quarter  Words cannot even describe how I felt this day....


We started the peaceful day at the foot of the Mount of Olives in The Garden of Gethsemane, 
where Jesus was betrayed and prayed with his disciples the night before his crucifixion...
Via Dolorosa, "the way of suffering"
walking the same path Jesus walked before he was crucified....beyond a moving experience.
Church of the Holy Sepulchre


Constructed over the traditional site of Calvary and the Tomb of Jesus


Golgatha Altar where Jesus was crucified on top of Calvary....

you can actually stick your hand where the cross was.
The Tomb of Jesus <3 

This was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.  To see where the Last Supper was held, to walk the same path Christ walked with the cross on his back, to see where hie was held a prisoner and to touch the Stone of Atonement where his body was prepared for burial was absolutely powerful and came at the perfect timing for me and my personal relationship and journey with God.  Even if you aren't Christian I think this can be a powerful experience; it is a historical fact that Jesus lived and to just be at these historical places where the central figure in Christianity existed is amazing.

The Jewish and Muslim Quarters

It was important during our trip to Jerusalem that we visit all of the quarters.  To learn about the other major religions, improve our" tunnel vision", and to see the world through the eyes of others.  We were only allowed in the Muslim Quarters and onto the Temple Mount during certain hours of the day and we went through strict security.  The Jewish Quarter and The Western Wall Tunnel Tour was outstanding, and probably the most informative and intriguing guided tour I have ever been on.  It was hard to understand what Jerusalem used to look like, considering the city has literally been built upon itself over the course of history.  The tour showed us exactly how Jerusalem used to look when the First Jewish Temple was built, 17 layers below present day street level where we stood.  

The Western Wall

To make an insanely long and detailed history lesson, short-The Jewish faith views the Foundation Stone as a junction between Heaven and Earth.  It is believed that the "Holy of Holies" is located here, which contains the Ark of the Covenant.  Solomon's Temple was built around the Foundation Stone in 10th century BCE, destroyed, and the Second Temple was built. Herod the Great expanded the temple and today the Western Wall is a part of his expansion and the closest Jews are allowed to the "Holy of Holies" that isn't under Islamic control.
The Dome of the Rock was completed in 691 and is a Muslim shrine that was built directly on top of the Jewish Temple Mount. This is a holy location for Muslims too, as they believe this is where Muhammad ascended into heaven.  Jews
There ya have it folks, the basic foundation for a tumultuous history and for all the controversy and war that is going on today.  

I can't even begin to understand everything that is going on in the world right now.  It's complicated and it's scary.  Jerusalem made the things I read about and see on the news....too real.  So powerful and moving to see how strong one's faith can be and what strong faith can do to someone.  At the same time it can be so detrimental, completely destructive, and harmful.  How is this even possible?  What are we all fighting for?? I am so glad that this old city helped to correct my tunnel vision and previous views that I had about other religions.  We don't have to understand, but just imagine how great the world would be if we could all respect one another.

with Nathan Jerrell, Alyssa Jerrell, and Tyler Jerrell

Like I said, Jerusalem was HEAVY.  We needed to get out of the old city walls to reflect and enjoy some quality sibling time.  After 3 days in Jerusalem, we were ready for the next part of our trip!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer... Sweat Tea Front Porches The Weather Authentic Faith Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food Slower Pace of Life Country Music & Country Accents Manners and Opened Doors Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits Ranch on Everything Monograms and Pearls College Football I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING      Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To " Go Zip-lining " has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!        Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recr