Skip to main content

PURE VIDA in COSTA RICA

On September 1, 2013 I married the man of my dreams.  This cute college boy I fell in love with 6 years ago on the campus of East Carolina University became my husband!!  We said our vows at the Stone Chapel in Wake Forest, NC, followed by dinner and dancing at The Cotton Company.  The day and weekend was everything and more I have ever dreamed of.  To have all of our family and friends in one room to celebrate was just an indescribable feeling that I don't deserve.  I kept tearing up just seeing who was there to support us and I tried to savor every sweet moment as it passed...
This was probably my favorite moment of the whole weekend.  I don't get to see my extended family often (the negative side of being a military brat, family is scattered across the country)!! I felt so blessed and special to have family and friends from Texas, Washington, Florida, Illinois, New York come to celebrate our special day.  I enjoyed having all of my family members and best friends from childhood, high school, college, etc in one room for my Bridesmaids' Luncheon.  Each one of these beautiful women have helped shape who I am today and I am so grateful for your love and support <3 
Family is everything <3

I have no idea what life has in store us, but I am so excited to begin this new chapter
 together.  I hope that he always looks at me like this.

We were Costa Rica bound as husband and wife!! We chose Costa Rica because 1) September is hurricane season, and we weren't about to chance that on the Caribbean 2) We both love being outdoors and wanted an action packed week but at the same time we did not to be on a schedule3) It was off season in CR-which meant we saved a lot of $$$!!  We couldn't have picked a better option for our first trip out of the country together!!  

"Pure Vida" is a characteristic Costa Rican phrase that means "pure life", and also translated as "full of life", "this is living" or "real living".  This phrase sums up this country perfectly, as I have never felt so full of life!!  Costa Rica was the perfect blend of relaxation and adventure.  Here are some things we did that were on my bucket list...

WHITEWATER RAFTING
 About to take on Class IV Rapids with Kenny Walters
It was (obviously) a great time!!

DIVE THE PACIFIC OCEAN
 my first Pacific dive! 
Kenny's first dive ever!!! He was able to get basic training and this was his favorite thing we did in Costa Rica.  He plans on getting officially licensed. Woohoo I gained a husband & a dive buddy!!!

Costa Rica borders Panama, which is actually where I spent a fair amount of my childhood when my dad was stationed there, 1992-1995.  It brought back A LOT of memories that I had while living there-the climate, the animals, the food, the people-everything! Considering I am an  "Air Force Brat" and moved every 3 years, I don't get the "comfortable" feeling of my childhood or past very often, so I take advantage of the opportunity when it comes.  My favorite part of the trip was watching my husband-it was his first time out of the country!  I loved watching him experience everything!  The people were beyond friendly, the food was outstanding, the country is so diverse with so much to offer.
Kenny Walters has his passport & colones and he's ready ready to go!!  
PERFECTION!!! Our first hotel in the Arenal Volcano Region.  It was a quiet & quaint boutique hotel near the town of La Fortuna.  It was the "off/rainy season" so VERY quiet.  It was perfect because this part of the trip we were up at 6am and in bed at 9pm, with activities that packed our day.  The restaurant was expensive and we actually needed more social interaction, so we drove to the nearby town for dinner and to hang with the locals every night.
Arenal Volcano after a rain storm <3


Zip lining 
 Waterfall Repelling


Repelling down a 200 foot waterfall! It doesn't look that high from this angle, but notice the little white dot at the end of the rope.  That's the guide's helmet! This was a huge adrenaline rush and my favorite thing that we did on our honeymoon!  It wasn't on my bucket list, but only because I didn't know this existed!   We drove from the Arenal Volcano Region towards the Pacific coast, Guanacaste Region! We stayed at the RIU Guanacaste Palace, an all inclusive resort.  This part of the trip was more relaxing as we primarily stayed on the resort grounds for all their amenities and nightlife.  I have never been to an all inclusive resort before-but man this is the way to travel! Talk about relaxing-I never had to carry my wallet or think about how much money I was spending! If I wanted two filets, I ate two filets.  If I wanted another pina colada, I had another pina colada.  We definitely ate and drank more than our money's worth.  We met several people who said this was the best all inclusive resort they had ever been to.  I have nothing to compare it to, but highly recommend this place if you ever go to Costa Rica!! 
http://www.riu.com/en/Paises/costa-rica/guanacaste/hotel-riu-palace-costa-rica/
Hotel RIU Palace in Guanacaste Region
We enjoyed every moment in Costa Rica.  Here's to Happily Ever After and "Pure Vida!!"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer... Sweat Tea Front Porches The Weather Authentic Faith Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food Slower Pace of Life Country Music & Country Accents Manners and Opened Doors Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits Ranch on Everything Monograms and Pearls College Football I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING      Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To " Go Zip-lining " has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!        Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recr