Skip to main content

Paris, Take 2

My family in Paris, December 2005

I visited Paris a few years ago with my family and I was disappointed.  It just wasn't all the hype that I expected it would be.  I told myself that I would come back one day for a re-do and to fully immerse myself in the city, but next time it would be with my husband.  I thought that maybe there was this romance-aspect of the city that I was missing.

Our first night in Paris was actually quite perfect.  We enjoyed a long walk downtown and enjoyed our sunset picnic dinner in front of the Eiffel Tower.  The weather was perfect, it wasn't nearly as crowded as I had expected, and it was a very relaxing and enjoyable time together.
 

We stayed until it was dark and the lights turned on, and we walked to the other side of the tower at night.  Maybe I had missed the romance-aspect before, Paris was definitely bringing out the romance in us!

Food- The food in Paris was delicious.  From crepes, quiche, and onion soup to escarcot, beef tartare, and "head cheese"-it was all delicious.  We always enjoy a food tour in a different city and this one was booked through Viator.com, the "Taste of Montmartre Food Tour". This was a great walking tour with a history of the area and an abundance of food; baquettes, various cheeses, meat from the butcher shop, crepes, eclair, chocolates, macaroons, and a nice sampling of French wines.

Sights- This time around I was glad that I booked a tour of The Louvre, as opposed to going on my own.  Neither of us are big into art museums, and I knew it would be a waste of money and time without a tour.  The "Welcome to The Louvre" tour was 1.5 hours and it was guided to the most famous and noteworthy pieces of art.  It was the perfect tour for us and we ended up staying about an hour afterwards to explore on our own.  The Notre Dame Cathedral is spectacular and my favorite part was climbing to the top! In my opinion, this is the best view of Paris!  You have to get tickets ahead of time at a kiosk outside of the cathedral, so I recommend checking this out on day 1 to allow yourself plenty of flexibility.


Inside the Louvre
 Notre Dame Cathedral
 Climbing the 400 steps to the top of the cathedral
The BEST view of Paris!

Day Trips- There are many day trips that are offered from Paris; visiting the Champagne region, Mont St. Michel, Versailles just to name a few.  We opted for the "Normandy/D-Day Day Tour from Paris" that was booked through Viator.com as we are both interested in WWII history.  Once we added up the cost of 2 train rides, a car rental, museum entry fees, lunch and coupled with the fact that we wouldn't get lost or argue over directions, our decision was easy.  I am so glad that we booked this tour through a company as I didn't realize how spread out all the museums and beaches were.  The drive from Paris was about 3 hours in a double-decker bus with our tour guide explaining a lot about the events leading up to D-Day and all the artifacts we were passing (all of Normandy is covered with old war artifacts). We enjoyed the Caen Memorial and a traditional French lunch, and visited Point du Hoc, the American and Canadian Memorials.
 Point du Hoc
Such a serene place today, it is hard to imagine the blood bath this was on June 6, 1944, and the 100 days that followed.

The courage of those who fought and their ultimate sacrifice contributed to the Allied victory and the greater good.

We ate a lot, we walked a lot, we enjoyed the cafes, a park, three main attractions, and we stayed up late exploring the Moulin Rouge district.  My favorite moments were the first night by the Eiffel Tower and also each night we enjoyed a bottle of wine by the Seine River.
 I do feel I enjoyed Paris more than I did the first time and I am glad that I came back but for some reason this city just isn't for me.  I don't know if it's the crowds or the high expectations, or if I am missing something that everyone else seems to love about this city?  We enjoyed ourselves however we both felt like we had seen and done enough.  If I ever have the chance to go back to Paris, I would definitely go, but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit this city again.
            Au revoir Paris!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer... Sweat Tea Front Porches The Weather Authentic Faith Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food Slower Pace of Life Country Music & Country Accents Manners and Opened Doors Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits Ranch on Everything Monograms and Pearls College Football I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING      Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To " Go Zip-lining " has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!        Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recr