Skip to main content

Wrong First Impressions of Amsterdam

First Impressions are almost always wrong....

Day #1
Amsterdam and myself got off to a rough start.  The train situation from Bruges to Amsterdam was rather confusing and due to our language barrier, we ended up on the wrong train.  We had booked specific time slots for the Anne Frank museum, so we rushed from Central Station to the museum! We had all of our bags, walking down cobblestone, meandering through pedestrians/bikes/cars and almost getting run over by a cyclist, twice.  Within 10 minutes, I had almost caused a bike accident pile-up and was called a "moron" and an "idiot tourist".  Luckily we made it to the museum, but we had to rush through as we had to take turns watching our luggage since we didn't have time to go by our hotel. 
The Anne Frank House is something I have wanted to visit since I was in the 4th grade and found out that doing so was possible.  Like I have stated, there is just something fascinating about WWII and her diary had me hooked from a very young age.  I could have easily stayed another hour to absorb everything.  Words can't describe the feelings I had stepping behind that bookcase and into the "hidden attic".  I can't imagine having all of my freedom taken away from me, the world around me changing so quickly.  I can't imagine never being able to see the daylight, living in constant fear, having a small sense of hope just before they were captured and killed.  "The Diary of Anne Frank" remains one of the most powerful books I have ever read.  I remember thinking of the tragic unfairness of the entire situation and I thought about her death for weeks after.  I remember how ironic it was that she always wanted to be a famous writer and if she only knew just how famous she is and how many people's lives have been affected by her writing  This museum is a MUST SEE! It is well organized with an audio tour that you can go through at your own pace.  BOOK TICKETS ahead of time as the museum is small, the line is long and they can only let in a few people at a time.

After a rough day of traveling and an emotionally draining (but necessary) visit to the museum, we were ready for some fresh air and a visit to the local brewery, which also happens to be the last remaining original windmill in Amsterdam. Win, Win!
We loved riding our bikes to Brouwerij 't IJ Brewery

Day #2
We rented bikes and cruised through the city.  I completely underestimated this "bike city".  This was no "bike city", it was more a way of life.  We saw people riding in skirts, heels, suits on their way to work, several parents with MULTIPLE children on one bike (and no helmets for anyone, this is where my healthcare side cringes), people riding home with groceries, TVs, etc on their bike.  There were bike lanes everywhere (which I failed to notice as a rushed pedestrian), bike traffic lights, merging bike traffic at intersections while also dodging pedestrians, regular car traffic, tram traffic that uses the same roads, and motorcylces who choose to use both the bike and car lanes!  I wasn't used to constantly thinking about my surroundings and I found myself very anxious at intersections.  Every time I heard the "ding" of a nearby bell I froze in fear until the biker passed me because I was afraid any sudden move that I made would cause a huge bike pile-up or a crash with a pedestrian. I probably felt extra anxious because I am an avid helmet-wearer and nobody had one on, including toddlers!
Intersection-induced panic attacks
Just Beautiful

Our "Bike Tour of the Dutch Countryside" was booked through JoyRides (https://joyridetours.nl/) and I HIGHLY recommend this tour.  I gained a lot of confidence in my "Amsterdam biking skills" once we learned some general safety tips, when to properly use the bike bell, the fact that there was actual passing lane, rules for merging bike traffic, etc.  Bike riding was much more enjoyable once I figured out what I was doing and it was nice to escape the hustle and bustle of the city.  Our guide, Melissa, was fabulous and knowledgeable.  We learned so much about the history of Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and the Dutch.
We visited a local dairy farm and were able to sample various cheeses...
We were able to see how traditional clogs were made...
And visited an operating windmill.
This tour was a highlight for the both of us on our entire Europe trip!

We were hungry after our bike tour and we checked out Blue Amsterdam, which has a gorgeous panoramic view of the city.  Make sure to check out this place during the day because it is only open for private events in the evening.
We had to try Bitterballen (fried meat and cheese with a mashed potato consistency), which went well with our delicious (and pretty!) cocktails.  It was a true HAPPY HOUR!
Next stop was the Heineken Brewery Tour.  A very well-done tour with workers who were excited and happy to be there, very helpful and friendly throughout the entire tour. We also booked these in advance to avoid the outrages lines we saw.
Your ticket even includes two beers on their rooftop patio!

Red light district- Must see to believe.  We simply walked up and down a few streets to take it all in, it was just like people were "window-shopping" for sex.  I still have an internal conflict with this whole situation.  Prostitution has been legal in Amsterdam for over 200 years and part of me is trying not to judge and realize that this has helped shape Amsterdam into the city and culture that I love about it.  You negotiate your terms with the women themselves and they even have their own union.  The other part of me just can't get over the degrading occupation that it is.  I have so many unanswered questions about the industry in general.
Coffeeshop versus Coffee Shop- A place to get a croissant and a cup of Joe versus a place to buy marijuana.  We walked into a local Coffeeshop to see what all the hype was about.  It was a very laid-back atmosphere.  A few folks were smoking a joint at the bar, some were playing pool, others were reading a book or playing cards.  It was actually pretty cool and I dig a laid-back atmosphere like this was!

Day #3
Our final day in Amsterdam, we took the bus 20 minutes north of the city to visit the Dutch town of Zaanse Schans.  This city is made up of well-preserved windmills that are original and built after 1574, however they were located all across Holland until they were transferred to the area during the 60's and 70's.  Although touristy, this town was just adorable and we enjoyed walking around and admiring all the windmills.  
Zaanse Schans
We headed back to Amsterdam for our final meal of vacation before heading to the airport!  All vacation I had been looking for a savory crepe and our last day I finally ate one, and it was well worth the wait.  They call them "pancakes" but they aren't fluffy like we have in the U.S. so I will call them crepes.
The Caprese Pancake from "The Pancake Bakery" was the best thing I had our entire trip.

Amsterdam goes to show that first impressions aren't always accurate.  The people of Amsterdam were all actually very friendly and helpful and it was my own fault for being ignorant and oblivious to my surroundings when I first arrived.  I felt very anxious when we first arrived in this city (due to rushing to the museum and not knowing the bike laws) but I soon realized that this place is very mellow and undemanding.  This city had such a neat vibe that you can only fully understand once you visit.  Full of delicious food, beautiful tulips, picturesque canals, and more bikes than people.  It is full of love, full of happiness, full of acceptance, and full of energy.   I loved this city and I think it's safe to say that it is my new favorite!  We had a wonderful trip together, but we missed our little boy so much and we couldn't wait to get back home to him!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer... Sweat Tea Front Porches The Weather Authentic Faith Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food Slower Pace of Life Country Music & Country Accents Manners and Opened Doors Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits Ranch on Everything Monograms and Pearls College Football I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING      Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To " Go Zip-lining " has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!        Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recr