Skip to main content

Embrace the Change

I was skiing at Snowshoe Mountain Resort in West Virginia; it was a calm day and a relaxing run down the mountain on a easy/green slope and I could hear nothing but my own breath.  I had plenty of time to think and I kept pondering why all of a sudden I was so fearful of going down a Black Diamond run.  It was in this moment that I realized my priorities have shifted so much since becoming a mom and it dawned on me that I am a totally different person than I was before.
with Kenny Walters, Tyler and Rebecca Foss, Bryan and Holly Pendergraft

"You just wait, life will never be the same." You hear it over and over when you're pregnant but you really cannot grasp the magnitude until you experience it.  I have learned more about myself and life since becoming a mother than I ever thought was possible and I continue to learn a different lesson every single day. I was prepared for the lack of sleep, money, and time for myself but I wasn't prepared for the identity crisis I experienced.  The change has been so drastic for me that it has been a tough pill to swallow!

1.  I now love routines and being organized

Some people possess these qualities even before they become parents, but my "old self" was a complete hot mess. Broken phones, lost credit cards, empty tanks of gas was a normal occurrence for me.  It never bothered me, but now that other people RELY ON ME, I would say I am a completely different person as far as organization is concerned.

When I first met my father-in-law he asked me a question that I still remember.  He asked "Do you enjoy routines or are you spontaneous?"  My response was simply "I haaaate routines! They are so boring! That is no way to live!  I like to be spontaneous and live on the edge every single day."  It should also be noted that my father-in-law did the exact routine every single day (down to where he ate breakfast for the past 20 years) and I thought that was the craziest thing.

Fast forward 10 years and here I am in a specific routine every single day of the week.  My time is more valuable to me now as I have more to accomplish during the day.  On Sundays I meal prep, on Friday nights I sanitize bottles.  Every morning I wake up and head to the gym while every night I stay on task with prepping lunches for the next day, making sure school bags and outfits are laid out and ready to go.  I find great pleasure in being organized and crossing things off my "to do" list is weirdly satisfying.  It makes me feel empowered to have everything done and ready to go.  It makes me feel like I set myself up for success for the next day.

2.  I now have feelings

I don't know why I used to pride myself in being guarded.  I think before I had children, I thought of emotional people as weak, high-maintenance, and annoying.  Here I am now, a full-blown emotional individual with strong feelings.

I cry over everything now.  A commercial about a couple growing old together using Glade products over the years, hearing gut-wrenching stories of childhood cancers and reading articles about missing children.  They are no longer just a sweet face on the news, they are SOMEONE'S CHILDREN.

I think I hate this change the most because it makes me vulnerable and that is just an uneasy feeling.  I have learned to take the good with the bad here.  I don't get to experience such an intense love without the vulnerability that comes with it and I have come to accept that.

3. I am now afraid and always mindful

When I was little I remember a specific scenario when we were all enjoying the sunset with hot chocolate while sitting with our legs dangling off the edge of the Grand Canyon.  My mom was annoyingly very anxious and this is just one of a million examples where she can now smirk and say "I told you so."  We went camping the other weekend and instead of pine straw I envisioned snakes, instead of a beautiful lake I envisioned drowning.  I seem to always be hyper-aware of my surroundings and looking out for the worst possible scenarios with each situation.  I guess with this mother-child bond comes these insane protective instincts that I now possess, which brings me back to my new fears of basically anything adventurous.
I always knew that I could die skydiving, rock climbing, even skiing but I never thought too much of it.  My attitude was always "You only live once! If I die at least it will be doing something really cool and fun."  Looking up at the Black Diamond sign I thought to myself,  "How am I going to help with my two children if I break my femur bone?" I decided to still tackle those black diamonds that day, but I was definitely not fearless in doing so.  I did not get quite the adrenaline rush that I used to get and I did not feel as though I accomplished something when I reached the bottom.  I felt relieved when I reached the bottom and all in one piece (and ready for a beer)!
with Rebecca Foss

I think it is smart to always weigh the "risk to reward" ratio when it comes to adventurous activities.  My Bucket List has drastically changed as I may no longer have the desire to bungee jump off a bridge, but that doesn't mean I want to live my life sitting indoors either.  I still want to experience "safe" adventures like camping/hiking in the Grand Canyon with my family (sans legs danging off the rim)! I may not be an "adrenaline-junkie" anymore, but that means all my hyperactive energy can be used to keep up with these kiddos!

Change is hard, but inevitable. I was so stubborn in admitting that I have changed in every sense of the word. Maybe it was because I liked the qualities about my old self; carefree, adventurous, and guarded.  When I really sit back and think about who I have become, I realize I may have liked myself before, but I LOVE and am proud of myself now.  Being a mom is my greatest accomplishment and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing My Inner Southern Belle in Kentucky

When I first moved to "The South" I remember thinking how phony everything was and feeling very out of place.  Southern culture seemed overwhelming and ridiculous.  Everywhere I turned there was a church,  an overly friendly female in a floral printed dress, and people saying "Bless your heart." I soon discovered that there was nothing "phony" or "ridiculous" about this different way of life.  I realized people in The South were actually genuine; down to their hospitality, faith, and their love for family and small towns. Over the past 15 years, I have come to fall in love with The South and everything it has to offer... Sweat Tea Front Porches The Weather Authentic Faith Pig Pickins, Fried &Comfort Food Slower Pace of Life Country Music & Country Accents Manners and Opened Doors Bow Ties and Seer Sucker Suits Ranch on Everything Monograms and Pearls College Football I could go on!! Seriously, what's not to

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plan

Get a Real Job      T here are some things I want to accomplish in my life, but they are not necessarily "Bucket List material"...  they are things that I "assume" I will do, including buy a house, get married, have children, etc.   I never thought "Get a real job" would ever be on my bucket list...but it has been since I graduated from college and assumed I would have one.  I don't have any control over our country's economy & the fact that when I graduated all the hospitals were cutting back and the first thing to cut was recreational therapists due to reimbursement issues at the time.    "Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you respond to it."  -Lou Holtz.         I jumped right into what I really wanted to do: Physical Therapy, by looking into schools that I was interested in...only coming to realize I should have spent waaaayyy more nights at Joyner Library instead of downtown Greenville.  I decided to attend Nash Com

A Bird's Eye View

GO ZIP LINING      Asheville, North Carolina.  If you have never been I highly recommend it.  Good food, good beer & wine, and a laid back atmosphere with just enough to do to keep you busy.  It's not officially on my bucket list, but I have always wanted to take a weekend trip with Kenny for a couple years now.  For whatever reason we quickly run out of time in the fall/early winter to go.  For my graduation gift from PTA school, Kenny's parents gave me zip-lining tickets & Biltmore tickets for my birthday.  To " Go Zip-lining " has been on my bucket list since I got a small dose of it on a ropes course in one of my recreational classes in college.  When they told me about this place just north of Asheville I was all in. So, we finally planned our trip for late October!!        Zip-lining originated from Costa Rica as botanists needed a way to study plants in the rain forest from above ground-level.  It is currently becoming a "new" outdoor recr